Photos on Gimme a Little Sugar on the Weekend are originals taken by Miriam Latour and under copyright protection.
Recipes are originals by Miriam Latour, unless otherwise indicated.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Strawberries Romanoff Ice Cream



There has been some debate over what "Strawberries Romanoff" is, but usually it involves fresh strawberries, cream, and a citrus or orange liqueur such as Curacao, Cointreau or Grand Marnier. When I was at a party once, the host, Jacob, had us dip strawberries in sour cream and then in brown sugar and he called it "Strawberries Romanoff". It was a wonderful treat.

I had a bunch of fresh strawberries and leftover cream from Easter dessert (and as usual, too much milk), so I decided to try my hand at that same flavor, only I froze the whole thing into a batch of ice cream. I think I must be ready for spring to start acting more like summer. Here at my home we've been having snow days alternating with windy and cold sunny days. Making ice cream helps me feel like we've moved beyond winter at last.


Strawberries Romanoff Ice Cream

2.5 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup fresh strawberries, puréed
1/4 cup *Grand Marnier (or use 1 Tbsp orange zest)
1 cup brown sugar

Combine and freeze in ice cream maker according to directions. Eat while freshly frozen!

*If you use Grand Marnier or any liqueur as a flavoring in ice cream, you need to first burn off the alcohol. Otherwise it will prevent the ice cream from freezing. You can do this by pouring the liqueur into a pan and heating it, then carefully igniting it. Once the flame has died the alcohol will be gone and all you have left is flavor.


Photo of me eating strawberries dipped in sour cream and brown sugar at Jacob's party.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am so jealous! I'm allergic to berries :( I wish I could have it,,,it looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! That's a great idea. I think this weekend I will try that... but as gelato. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Gelato would be good with this flavor too. Feel free to share the recipe if you like the way it turns out!

    I love gelato, but my family all prefer ice cream, so I don't make it very often or I end up eating the whole thing myself. *sheepish grin*

    ReplyDelete