Photos on Gimme a Little Sugar on the Weekend are originals taken by Miriam Latour and under copyright protection.
Recipes are originals by Miriam Latour, unless otherwise indicated.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bread Pudding


I have a great recipe for bread pudding that I got from a friend years ago, but he wants to keep it a secret... so I searched the web for a similar recipe that I can share and found one by Paula Deen. She calls it "The Best Bread Pudding", and I agree. It is extremely rich and amazingly delicious. I made a few small changes, which I've indicated in red.

Bread Pudding:
2 cups granulated sugar (I used brown sugar)
5 large beaten eggs
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups cubed Italian bread, allow to stale over night (I used 4 cups)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans

Sauce:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten (I left this out entirely)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup brandy (I used 1/3 cup rum)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan.

Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.

In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.

Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.


Sauce:

Mix together the granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. Add the brandy, stirring well. Pour over bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.

1 comment:

  1. I ADORE bread pudding! My momma always made it when I was growing up and I made it for my kids when they were growing up :)

    ReplyDelete